You can use curcumin as part of your daily routine to support longevity and live a long, and healthy life. Curcumin is one of the major curcuminoids of turmeric and used in the herbal supplement. It could provide multiple benefits to your body and brain. It is also been used due to its medicinal properties. It is proven to lower cholesterol, triglycerides and fatty acids in the body. Finally, it might also help you reduce weight gain due to the intake of the fatty diet. Following are various uses of curcumin which makes it one of the key ingredients in many nutritional supplements.
- Anti-inflammatory – Inflammation is an immune response by the body to protect it against disease and infection. If inflammation occurs frequently or chronic one may lead to different diseases such as heart diseases, diabetes, and even cancer. Much clinical research has found that curcumin has the ability to inhibit an enzyme associated with inflammation. This, in turn, might also help to reduce joint pain and inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Joint health – Due to being inflamed, your joint may begin to feel swollen and be painful. But thanks to anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, it may promote your overall joint health and mobility. This could further help you move freely with ease. You might also use to prevent the symptoms to kick in and combat the on-set on joint pain.
- Cardiovascular system – Due to our hectic schedule and the choice of consuming calorie-rich fast foods, we may suffer from heart diseases. As stated earlier, frequent inflammation may cause heart disease, so curcumin with its anti-inflammatory ability may prevent heart disease and heart attacks. It might also work to improve the lining of blood vessels and help to regulate blood pressure and clotting. With regular intake, curcumin could improve the cardiovascular function.
- Cholesterol levels – The primary cause of high cholesterol is oxidative stress and high blood sugar. It is also bought on due to inflammation and by reducing that, it may help you maintain healthy cholesterol levels. This may also help you keep your heart health in check. It could reduce the levels of bad (LDL) cholesterol and increase beneficial (HDL) cholesterol instead.
- Combat stress – If you feel stressed during most of the day, you may not be productive enough and impact your work schedule. Curcumin may act as an adaptogen to regulate the release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands. It might also improve your ability to adapt better with emotional and physical stress. It could help you maintain healthy levels of stress hormone.
- Weight loss – The elevated stress levels may force you for emotional eating and in turn cause sudden weight gain. When stress hormones get increased, fat may get accumulated to the stomach and make you look overweight. Fortunately, as curcumin could help to keep your hormones balanced, it may stop you from storing extra fat around your waist. It might also help you fight obesity too by reducing the growth of fat cells.
- Healthy metabolism – It has been proven to stabilize your glucose levels in the blood and reduce the complication associated with diabetes. The high levels of blood sugar could also lead to some severe problems including nerve damage, slow healing of wound and loss of vision. It might reduce the risk of developing diabetes in people with high possibility too. It may help to boost your body’s metabolism to burn stored body fat and carbs in a rapid manner.
- Combat free radicals – Curcumin is found to be rich in antioxidant properties and may help to fight against excess free radicals in the body. Free radicals could damage the cells, diminish your overall health and lead to neurodegenerative disease and other severe disorders. It might also help optimize your vitality.
- Brain health – It has the ability to boost a protein in the brain which plays the crucial role in helping the brain grow. Curcumin has been shown to increase neurons and support the formation of the new connection in the brain. It has long been used to enhance the functioning of the brain. It may help to improve memory, reduce oxidative damage, enhance your cognitive ability, improve mood and increase the working memory.
Curcumin, the active compound of turmeric is proven to provide many health benefits and can be used for various purposes. It is recommended to consult your physician to find the amount of dose that your body needs.